BC Housing Rent Supplement

Assistance to individuals and families facing homelessness or at risk

married couple moving in
child and family moving

BC Housing Rent Supplement Application

Please note: CMHA Kelowna’s Rent Supplement program is currently on hold and not able to accept applications at this time. Please review the list below for community organizations also providing rent supplements.

BC Housing Rent Supplement Application

Rent Supplement Information

  • The rent supplements are funded by BC Housing and are provided as a flexible, timely option for individuals and families who are experiencing homelessness (or at risk of homelessness) who do not have sufficient funds to either find or maintain appropriate housing.
  • The rent supplements are intended to provide a top-up to rent or provide “bridge” funds that will help house people quickly (or respond prior to an eviction).
  • Every effort will be made to ensure timeliness of response to this process.

Eligibility Criteria

  • Homeless (absolute or relative) or at-risk of homelessness
  • Unable to access crisis funding/grants elsewhere (i.e. msd, i.a)
  • Willingness to access support from community agency where appropriate to address any outstanding barriers to finding and maintaining housing

There Are Two Types Of Supplements

  • One-time crisis
  • Monthly rent

Where To Apply

Female, identifying as one of the following: victim of violence, leaving correctional system, leaving health care system, youth at risk, or aboriginal.

Now Canada – Housing Outreach
2970 Tutt st, Kelowna BC, V1Y 8Z5
Phone: (250) 763-3876
Fax: (250) 868-3876
Email: serena@nowcanada.ca
More information and links to applications @ www.nowcanada.ca

Identifies as Aboriginal

Ki-low-na Friendship Society – Outreach
442 Leon Avenue, Kelowna, BC, V1Y 6J3
Phone: (250) 763-4905
Fax: (250) 861-5514
email: please call for contact information

Youth at risk (18-25)

Foundry Kelowna – Operated by CMHA Kelowna
504 Sutherland Ave, Kelowna BC, V1Y 5X1
Phone: (250) 861-3644
Fax: (250)-763-4827
Email: mental.health@cmhakelowna.org


CMHA Kelowna – Housing & Homelessness Services
504 Sutherland Ave, Kelowna BC, V1Y 5X1
Phone: (250) 861-3644
Fax: (250)-763-4827
Email: mental.health@cmhakelowna.org

Application Process: Email Appropriate Agency for Application

  • Contact the appropriate agency to find out information on how to apply
  • Attach proof of rent (lease agreement, rent receipt) and most recent 60-days bank statement. if not attached, it will be requested by the facilitator at a later date.
  • Fax completed form to appropriate organization – CMHA, Now Canada, or KFS
  • Organization will follow-up with referral source within one week of receipt of application to confirm eligibility and appropriateness of application

Providing emotional support

You can play an important role in helping someone who’s not feeling well feel less alone and ashamed. They are not to blame for their illness, but they may feel that they are, or may be getting that message from others. You can help encourage hope.

How do I do this?
Try to be as supportive, understanding and patient as possible. See our “Where do I go from here?” section for resources on how to be a good communicator.

Taking care of an ill family member or friend can be stressful. Remember that you need emotional support, too. Consider joining a support group for family members of people with mental illness. There, you can connect with other people going through the same things and they can help you work through your own emotions. It’s very important to make sure you are taking care of your own mental health as well.

  • If clients’ rent is paid directly from the ministry of social development, referring agency is responsible for all communication with msd regarding any changes in status of client
  • Rent supplement cheques will only be paid directly to the landlord or vendor and a receipt is required
  • There will be a 6 & 12 month follow-up call
  • All relevant information is recorded in a database reporting all the activities to BC Housing
  • BC Housing client consent and authorization must be signed for rental supplement cheque to be released
  • Incomplete applications may delay processing times

We’re here to support 
you and your family.

Find out more about how this organization helps to create a mentally healthy community.